Sunday 18 January 2015

Sunday Thoughts

I'm feeling very empowered today. I managed to clear the spare room last night, set up the (previously unused) weights bench and make a gym/spare room fit for purpose. I also did a short workout which worked a few key muscle groups.*

Today, after being out all night, I'm still rather energised so decided to hit my home gym and do some working out. Did I mention I bought a new contraption to help me achieve my goals through boxing? No? It's called the Shadow Boxer. It's a belt with two hand grips which attach to the front of the belt near the sides. The idea is to add resistance to a boxing workout and thus increase your calorie consumption and help build long, lean muscles. Nifty, huh? The workout lasts around 18 minutes but I highly suggest having your own music playing while following the disc as it certainly makes the workout pass a lot quicker and makes it even more enjoyable.

So, along with the Shadow Boxer (SB for short), I have added in some other moves, such as leg extensions, bicep curls and tricep dips, and also using the weight bar to build my back and all round strength. There are a lot of squats involved to really get my legs working and I'm pleased to say that my knees seem to be holding better shape since I started squatting a couple of weeks ago. This is a bonus in itself!

I find that lifting weights and boxing are a great reliever for any stress or worries I have and can just let out my frustrations. What I would like to work up to doing is going for a run daily by going walking with the dog and adding short bursts of jogging and developing this until we are both running. I don't think Chubster will complain! This would add to my cardio, and I may also take up cycling again. Well, I say again. I mean for the first time since one outing really doesn't count. It would also mean I'd actually get to use the beautiful bike I bought myself last year, or maybe the year before...

My goals for 2015:

- Lose 3-4 stone (depending how much muscle I build up in the process)
- Improve the overall health of my joints
- Get rid of the bat wings
- Start to see muscle definition on my legs, back and arms
- Increase my strength and stamina
- Learn to run!

Looking at my little list, it doesn't actually seem like it's that hard to achieve, but it will take hard work to get the results I want. Social media is a great motivator but I feel it in me this time, too. My depression has reared it's ugly head lately, and exercising in a way I enjoy has certainly helped kick my demons away, even for a short time while I'm working up a sweat.

I have some eating goals too, to ensure I build and repair my muscles and also shed the unwanted pounds clinging to my waist right now:
- Create a realistic eating plan
- Stick to the above eating plan
- Increase protein and fibre intake
- Decrease (slightly) my carb intake
- Drink at least 2 litres of water per day
- Cut out junk food at home (only having crap food once in a blue moon as a treat if I'm out!)

Basically, I want to be eating as clean as possible which means I need to start cooking regularly.

My reward for hitting targets and being good? Why, a new tattoo of course. And by the end of it all, a new wardrobe. I need to look and see what kind of workout clothing I want to be wearing in the next few months, and aim to be in it. I wanna be one of those girls who you see and you just know she squats and lifts. That is my dream.

*Please note: I'm a complete beginner at all of this. If you have any advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated! I really want to learn more and I can only do that with the support of those who know :) Any good techniques, habits, food combos, protein shakes, or any particular lifts etc. that I should know about, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment